This issue concerns the life of Fred R. Patch, his personal recollections, and the founding of the Patch-Wegner Company as documented by Elaine Purdy.
During his early years at the local mills, Patch developed an interest in the marble business which ultimately led him to innovate and invent new processes. As a result he became superintendent, chief engineer and eventually the head of the largest marble machine tool factory in the country.
His contributions to the community were many. He was an architect, builder, civic leader and historian. Illustrating the article are photographs of gang saws, the method of moving marble and a view of an early marble mill. In addition there is an illustration of the Proctor Union Church whose architecture was designed by F.R. Patch in 1890.